Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Change of plans

As it turns out, sometimes in life, we can't always prepare for every little obstacle that we face; we just have to do the best we can with what we have.

I know, it sounds corny, and it also may sound like I've injured myself or gone through some harrowing experience that makes running an impossibility. No, no injuries here (other than a few scraps on the leg from tree branches), and no harrowing nightmares. But, I am unfortunately dropping out of the Dublin Marathon this year. Money and family issues. Plus, it was more than just a race: I was going with my parents and my sister and her whole family, and it was going to involve more than just a 26.2-mile run -- we were going to visit Dublin and Wales (where my brother-in-law's family is from). As you can probably guess, money is a huge part of this happening. Plus, we just had a big life-altering change in the way we live around my house: my grandparents on my dad's side are staying with us now, which means we have to take care of them. So, it would be difficult for all of us to find the time to get the trip going.

On a more positive note, I'm still running, and concerned with become a more active person. I want nothing more than to live a long, healthy life (like my 93-year-old grandparents) full of fun experiences. This means a change in a lot of things: change of diet, workout regimen, running habits, etc. I'm excited to see what the future holds, though.

In fact, I'm running in the First Light Marathon here in Mobile next year (January 10, 2010), and we're banking on doing Dublin the same year.

So, we will see! You'll still get regular updates from me periodically, though I may change the name of this blog to reflect my new ambitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment